


We recently found out after making a trip to a specialized children's hospital's ER that Bella is anemic due to an iron deficiency. We've had to give her iron supplements which has kind of upset her tummy, but not too bad. Bella's doctor has been worried about this anemia and also worried that Bella has not been gaining enough weight. She thinks they might be connected. So she had me come in today so that Bella could be weighed. It turns out that Bella's losing weight. At her last appointment (which was about two weeks ago) she weighed 8 lbs. 12 oz. Today when I took her in she weighed 8 lbs 9 oz. Keep in mind that she weighed 8 lbs. 10 oz. when she was born. She's now 7 weeks old. When the other girls were this age they weighed between 10 and 12 lbs. So now we're all pretty worried. The doctor is having me supplement with formula. Just in the last few days I've been thinking that my milk supply is diminishing. I don't always feel that "let down" and it doesn't seem like Bella's been really satisfied after eating. So I'm thinking about just switching to formula for good. We'll see. I haven't decided yet. I'm supposed to be monitoring her eating and her "diaper activity" for the next few days and then take her in to be weighed again on Friday and then on Monday. Hopefully this formula will help and she'll start to beef up. I'm also supposed to get an appointment with a pediatric hematologist so see about her anemia. Poor little Bella. She's such a cutie though. She's starting to smile a lot more now and it's adorable!!
1 comment:
First, of all, welcome to the blogging world, Mindy! You already blog like a pro! Isn't it easy? I'm so glad to see more recent pictures of Bella, and boy, if she doesn't look exactly like your other girls did! I'm surprised to hear about the health problems she's continuing to have. Anemia? Who would have thunk it?, especially since the other girls didn't have any issues. Anyway, I look forward to your updated blogs!
Post a Comment