I've been meaning to blog about this for awhile now because it's just so funny. It's about time I got around to it, I guess.
Lydia met this little boy in her kindergarten class, named Jake. It turns out that he lives in our neighborhood and he rides the bus with her. He actually gets on at the same stop. So a couple of months ago, they started talking and have become friends. They actually sit by each other on the bus on most days. Well, one day about a month ago, she got off the bus and came running towards me all excited. She said, "Guess what mom" and I said "what?" And she said, "I kissed Jake three times." My first thought was WHERE? So, I asked her and she said "on the cheek, on the bus ride home." She said that Jake had kissed her first on the cheek and so she kissed him back. So, I'm thinking, "Oh boy, the teenage years are starting early!!" So, we had a little talk about how it's not okay to be kissing yet; that we only kiss when we are mommys and daddys. I also explained to her Garrett's rule about kissing. His rule is, that if any boy wants to kiss any of our girls, then that boy has to come and kiss Garrett first. He always tells them this rule in a very serious voice, so that they know he's not joking; but they always giggle anyway. Who wouldn't?
So, since that little incident Maggie has had a field day with teasing Lydia about her "boyfriend". Lydia tries to explain to Maggie that he's just a friend that is a boy (as we tell her), but Maggie just likes to cause trouble. Lydia really likes Jake though and they draw each other cute little pictures with hearts on them. Here's a picture that she drew of her and Jake--isn't it cute?

I've talked with Jake's mom about this and she tells me the same thing--that Jake really likes Lydia and he calls her his girlfriend. It really is very cute to see two little kids like each other so much. It's just so innocent to them--I guess they don't really know how else to express their fondness for the other person. They probably hear the terms, 'boyfriend and girlfriend' so often and so casually, that that's what they think they're supposed to say. His mom also told me that some of his other friends were wanting Jake to sit by them on the bus and when he tried to sit by one of them, that Lydia got mad at Jake. I remember that day because she got off the bus crying and upset and said that Jake didn't want to sit by her anymore. I tried to explain to her that he has other friends and just needs to take turns. I think she understands now, but oh boy, the drama!!
A few days before Halloween we were having our family Halloween party. The day of the party, Lydia got off the bus and asked if Jake could come to our party. When I told her no, that it was just for our family, she became extremely upset and couldn't understand why he couldn't come. After explaining it to her numerous times, she was still upset and refused to come inside. No matter what I tried, she would not come in for at least 20 minutes. It was even pretty cold outside that day, but she was not about to cave in. (She gets her stubbornness from Garrett and myself so she's got a good dose of it!) Finally, somehow I got her to come inside, but she was still really upset for the most part of the day.
One last thing. On Halloween night, I was handing out candy and Garrett was about ready to take the girls out trick-or-treating. Jake and his sister came up to the door and the first thing he said when I opened the door was, not "Trick-or-Treat", but "I'm Lydia's boyfriend, Jake!" It was the funniest thing ever! Kids are so funny!!
Lydia's birthday party is this Saturday and of course, Jake is invited, along with two other little boys. She's not boy crazy yet, she just doesn't have a lot of girls her age. So, I'll have to take a picture of Jake and post it.
Maggie also had a crush on a boy in kindergarten. His name was Marco. He wasn't as interested in her though. She called him her boyfriend, without him knowing. She's liked a different boy in each year of school. I sure am looking forward to the teenage years--with four girls! Did anyone hear the sarcasm in that statement--because it was full of it!! Ha ha!!
7 comments:
Awww, that is so cute.
Blake has a crush on a girl named Lexie that he went to preschool with and this year he likes a girl named Riley in his class but she won't give him the time of day..lol
Pucker up BOYZ!
I will also be greeting all of the girls' dates at the door with my .357 strapped to my belt...My only power is fear & intimidation...intimidation& fear!!! heaven help us!!
Glad you finally posted the lovestory!! I can't wait to see a pic of the boy!! That's so funny what Garrett wrote!
It starts early doesn't it!
What a fun "story".
Your a good MOM, Mindy.
Hey can I come over and you teach me how to put up a cute background on this ...I am at a loss with it!
Mindy Sue, that is too funny! She and Rachel are a hoot--although in Rachel's case, she's trying to avoid them (just like I was at that stage)! Very cute!
Yeah, the best part of that story is Garrett's rule about boys wanting to kiss his daughters!!
Zach told me he knows he's going to marry Elise Squire since he's already kissed her. Maybe I should tell Sydette? Kids are so funny.
Post a Comment