Thursday, December 6, 2012

Family Halloween Party

We had our Family Halloween Party on October 30th.  My parents and Garrett's parents brought costumes from home.  For our family, we played the Costume game again.  I love everyone's costumes.  Lydia--Little Red Riding Hood, Bella--Cheerleader, Paige--Movie Star, Maggie--Hippy and Noah--Cowboy.  He LOVED the toy gun.  Oh boy.   
Costumes
 Garrett was a pirate and I was a waitress. 
 They crack me up.  Here, they've just moved in, but were still able to find great costumes. 
 More great costumes!  It was so fun!
Me and my hot pirate!
 The whole group.
I guess I didn't take an individual picture of Maggie's costume.
The first order of business was dinner
These were our two tables.  I was going with the spider theme this year.  I have to thank my mom for all of her help this year, or I wouldn't have finished all of my crazy plans in time.  It was fun to work with her on these parties that we both love. 
 The cute little spider plates that my mom made. 
 The menus for the year. 
 I didn't do a very good job at taking pictures of the food this year.  Things are always so hectic when you start serving the food. 
The eyeball salad was a yummy grape salad with cream cheese and pecans that I found on pinterest.  So good!
Monsters were these brownies for dessert.  Again, they were found on pinterest. 
Zombie explosion was pizza that we got at Papa Murphey's.  Good, quick and easy!
Devil's Delight was the drink concoction...grape and orange kool-aid mixed together. 
Witch's fingers were garlic breadsticks. 
Toad warts were olives--a big hit with my kids. 
 Eating dinner.  My mom served dinner to the smaller table and I served food to my family. 
Trying to finish my food before the games start. 
Games
Our first game was a ring toss game with witch's hats.  I used glow bracelets for the rings. 
 Noah absolutely loved this game.  He had such a fun time!  He was tossing those rings everywhere. 
 Bella had a great time too.  I think they each did this like 3 or 4 times. 
 I think this picture is awesome, even if it is a little blurry. 
 The next game was ghost bowling.  Noah and Bella are the perfect ages for these games.  They had so much fun!  It makes all the 'getting ready' for the party worth it. 
This was Maggie's way of bowling.  She's such a knucklehead...
 The next game was (don't know a name for it), hitting a beach ball with a broom from one side of the house to the other.  This one didn't work out as well as I would've liked.  They were on two teams and each had to take a turn guiding the ball with the broom stick from point A to point B.  I was going to tape down a trail for them to follow, but didn't have time.  I wish I would've done it because I think it would've helped to avoid some confusion in the middle of the game.  Oh well. 
Bella's skirt is like 3X too big.  I pinned it twice before the party started, but it fell off as she was having her turn.  Quite funny. 
 The next game was this Halloween Clue Hunt that I found on pinterest.  I had to change it up just a bit because we didn't want to go outside.  It was fun though.  The little kids teamed up...Noah with Garrett, Bella with Grandma Hansen and Paige with Grandpa Hansen.  Lydia and Maggie went solo. 
Bella searching through a pile of bones and leaves looking for a clue. 
 Reading the next clue with Cruella
 Lydia searching for a clue with a key with grandma McKibben
 Bella looking for the key
 Lydia found her clue by the ghost
 so did Grandpa
 Finding clues in the tree
I know this picture is blurry, but I couldn't focus fast enough to capture Garrett "knocking" Maggie and Lydia to the couch so he could get ahead.  So Garrett...I love their faces in the back ground. 
 Garrett and Noah find the prize first!
 Paige and Grandpa find their prize.
And our last game was eating donuts off a string. 
 The younger kids went first.
I don't think that Noah participated...he ate his donut afterward
 Then Lydia and Maggie
 Then the adults.  The adults worked in teams because a lot of the donuts I had were broken.  I love how the guys all have their mouths open in this picture. 
This is how Jim and Georgia ended up.  So cute!
Well, that was the end of the party.  I think everyone had fun and that's why I do these things.  So my kids can have fun and have great memories to look back on. 
I just wanted to add a few more pictures of some new decorations for this year. 
 First off are my bats.  I LOVE them!  They were so easy to make.  Just copied a template onto construction paper and cut out. 
 Second is my new witch that I found at JoAnn's.  She's the big one in purple and black.  I absoutely adore her face.  She's perfect! 

5 comments:

Megan said...

I have so many comments! What a great party Mind!! I love seeing everyone dressed up, the costumes were fabulous! I loved your spider theme. The placemats and plates were so cute. And I love your menus!! Every year you have good menus. You need to tell me where you get those ideas and how to make them! Your food sounded yummy too. I like the witch's hat ring toss. I might do that one next year. Was it hard to make the hats? The glow bracelets were a nice touch. I REALLY want to do a clue hunt, but have to wait until my kids can read! That one looked fun! And I lOVED the picture of all of the adults about to do the donut on a string! What a great picture!! And man I've wanted to make those bats!! I just ran out of time! Maybe next year? They look awesome!! And mom and I talked about your new witch because I got one this year with a purple dress, but guess what? They are different!!! So there are at least 3 (the black one and 2 purple ones) of them! I love yours! She's great! Anyway, you do such good work! It looked fun for the kids to have both sets of grandparents there. What a great party Mind!!

Megan said...

And Noah looked so cute with his gun, what a typical little boy. I just love mom and dads costumes. And I can totally picture Garrett knocking the older two girls out of the way to get ahead! Too funny!!

Tonya said...

I've said it before and I'll say it again. You are such a great mom and so creative.Such fun traditions!

gmckibbe said...

Thanks Megs and Tonya. You guys are sweet! Megs, since we never get to talk, maybe you could send me the links where you found your party ideas. Or maybe we should just find the time to call each other. Ha! :)

tiffany said...

Oh my! I'm behind on your blog, but it's so fun! You are always doing such fun and creative things! I'm overwhelmed on this one, like Megs was. I pretty much wanted to say all the things she did! Your bats are awesome! I loved the spider plates and the menus! So cute!! I also loved the glow-in-the-dark bracelets for the ring toss on the witches hats! That was hilarious about Garrett knocking the girls out of the way. I can see him doing that, too! Loved all the costumes!