Thursday, February 2, 2012

Disney World..Traveling and Day 1: Hollywood Studios

For Christmas, Garrett and I surprised the kids with a trip to DisneyWorld in January.  (I think I forgot to mention that in my Christmas post).  So the day finally arrived that we were going to the Happiest Place on Earth!!

We left for Florida on Sunday January 22nd and flew ALL day!  It was a long day.  Noah slept a little bit on the plane, but not enough.
Eating teddy grahams and watching Mickey Mouse Clubhouse on my phone.  That little Mickey did not leave his side the whole trip.  He LOVES it!
Eating Quiznos at the airport during our layover in Kansas City
Riding to our hotel on the Disney's Magical Express bus that picked us up at the airport.
 Our resort was pretty fun with giant icons all around the resort that are from the 20th-century popular culture crazes—there were giant 8-tracks, yo-yo's, a big wheel, giant foos-ball players and Mr. and Mrs. Potato heads.  It was pretty fun!
 This giant Mickey Mouse was in front of our building and the first time that Noah saw it, he was a little bit scared, even being the big Mickey fan that he is!
Eating a late dinner at the cafeteria. 
Noah would feed Mickey a bite of his food before he fed himself...it was so funny!
He did surprisingly well though, considering we were eating dinner at 11:00 at night and then not getting to bed til about 1 am.  The Disney Resort was supposed to get our luggage for us, but it didn't get to our hotel till about 12:45 am.  Noah had a hard time sleeping that night.  Being in a new place and over exhausted didn't help.  Turns out there is no fridge and no microwave in the rooms at Pop Century, so he had a hard time with not having a warm bottle before bed.  I've been wanting to wean him from that, so that was one positive thing that came from this experience.  So, Garrett and I had to take turns getting him back to sleep that night--took 2 or 3 times.   Then he woke up really early that morning and Garrett got him back to sleep till about 10 or so.  The girls had been up for an hour wanting to get going, but I made them stay in their room (we had adjoining rooms) and watch tv until Noah woke up.  So, we got a really late start this first day.  Oh well. 

For our first day, we went to Hollywood Studios. Since we were so late getting started AND because I wanted to get back to the hotel to give Noah and Bella a decent bedtime, we didn't get to do much. But, it was an exciting start...
Taken at the resort (they are standing inside the cirlce of the 8 in the 80's sign)
Waiting for the bus
Decade signs in front of the resort
 Just getting to the park and picking up the stroller.
The stroller was a whole other issue that we had to deal with.  Our good friends who have been to Disney numerous times suggested that we rent one of the strollers at the park for the whole week.  That way we wouldn't have to take ours on the plane and transport it on the bus each day.  It was going to be spendy, but worth it.  I thought it was a GREAT idea as long as it was comfortable enough for Noah to take a nap in.   Anyone that knows me, knows that I'm pretty strict with naps, so this whole week was looking pretty stressful to me knowing that Noah was going to be tired and cranky.  So, we went to pick up the stroller, and I was so upset that it was a tiny hard seat that didn't recline.  There was no way that he would ever take a nap in that stroller.  So, I was pretty stressed out, but trying to just deal with it.  We ended up having to carry him when he was tired and get him to sleep on our shoulders and carry him while he napped.  My arms and back ache just thinking about it!  (I'm sure I sound like a Debbie Downer here, but I'm just trying to record all my feelings so that I can remember everything.  I did have a good time and things got much better, I promise.  The first day on vacation is always the hardest with kids in my experience.)
 I loved all the buildings and the themes of each of the parks...so fun!
Right off, we were all hungry so we headed to Pizza Planet for lunch.  Look how tired Noah looks! It was a cute place with lots of arcade games, but we didn't play any; we wanted to get out and see things.
Next, we headed over to the Disney Jr. show for Noah and Bella.  They have a 30 minute show featuring Mickey Mouse Clubhouse, Jake and the Neverland Pirates, Little Einstein and Handy Manny.  It was really cute and Noah and Bella loved seeing all the characters. 
After that, we went to watch the "Voyage of the Little Mermaid"  It was kind of cool.  They made Ursula really scary looking and huge.  I had just gotten Noah to sleep while we were waiting in line for this.  He'd been asleep maybe 15 minutes when we went in to be seated.  Of course, he woke up as soon as the music started.  I'm sure he was pretty freaked out to wake up and see this giant, ugly purple thing. 
Then we went to see "Lights, Motor, Action Extreme Stunt Show".  This was fun to watch and it was interesting to watch how they do all these stunts for movies.  The kids all loved the explosions!  They only showed a few minutes worth of Lightning McQueen.  I kind of wish they showed more of him.  But it was good.
This picture is so funny!  Noah really wanted his own ice cream...he didn't want to share with Bella.
Then we went to watch "Beauty and the Beast, Live on Stage".  They did a really good job on this and Bella really liked this one.  We just got the movie Beauty and the Beast for Christmas, so she's very into it right now.  I loved Gaston, he was so funny!
By this time, it was around 6 o'clock.  Everyone was tired and Noah was cranky.  So, we decided to go back and eat dinner at the hotel, then I would get Noah to bed and Garrett would take the girls swimming.  Everyone was happy with the plan. 
The weather was perfect!  So sunny and beautiful!  A little hot, but I love the sun!  All in all it was a good day and we were all excited to go to the Magic Kingdom the next day!

2 comments:

JoAnnHansen said...

I'm so happy to hear about your vacation to the Magic Kingdom. It really is magical, isn't it? Looks like a little adjustment for Noah, but I'm sure that he loved it! Can't wait to hear more about it!

tiffany said...

Yay, I'm so excited to hear about your trip! The first day is an adjustment, plus the whole time change had to make it pretty hard on you guys! Bella looks so different to me. She looks older and her hair is getting so long. What a cutie!