Saturday, September 12, 2009

Whale Watching

August 3rd

Today most of us set out on a whale watching tour from Bar Harbor. Garrett offered to keep the kids so that I could go and hang out with my family, which was really nice. He's seen tons of whales being the Alaskan fisherman that he is and I've seen my share too, but I still wanted to hang out with everyone. My brother Tad and his family didn't go and my other brother-in-law Brooks and his two boys didn't go. Tad and his family spent the day at the beach and Garrett and Brooks hung out around Bar Harbor and then went mini-golfing.

The boat ride out was nice, a little cold with the wind, but luckily it was a beautiful day! The motion of the boat wasn't too bad on the way out (thanks to the dramamine I took). I wish I could say the same for my brother-in-law Steve, but he unfortuneatly got sick. He and my sister Megan have two little kids, Colin who's 3 and Cora who was 9 months old. Megan had Cora and Steve had Colin. Colin didn't want to be outside in the wind, so Steve was inside most of the ride, which is the worst place to be if you are feeling queasy. So, after Steve threw-up, Megan went to get Colin and I held Cora for awhile. Cora doesn't like most people other than her parents so before long, Megan was holding both kids and didn't get to see any whales. So, it wasn't the best trip for them. Although Steve got to see quite a few whales when he was outside being sick. I don't know if he even cared at that point.
Our whale watching boat
Charee and her daughter Emily
Cora, Megan, Mindy, Tiffany and Charee
Colin, Steve, Cora and Megan
Me and sweet Cora
Mom and dad
Me, Mom and dad

Anyways, it took a good two hours to find any whales, but we finally saw 6 or 7 whales, I think. The slow rocking of the boat from side to side was getting me kind of queasy and half the time they saw a whale it was on the other side of the boat. I didn't feel like running from side to side, so I didn't get to see all the whales. It was okay though, because I've seen quite a few other times.




All the whale pictures were taken by my sister Tiffany
After a long, cold ride back to the harbor we were all pretty hungry for dinner, (even Steve--he LOVES food!) so we found a restaurant right across the street and ate dinner on the deck. Garrett and everyone else headed back to the house and we met them later.

The view from our table

2 comments:

Megan said...

I like the new posts. Poor Steve. I think that's the last boat ride for the Bakers, at least until our kids are older. I still had fun though!

Lisa said...

Someone has been a little bit spoiled lately! Wow, how fun for you guys! Great pics. :)