Tuesday, August 18, 2009

McKibben Family Reunion

Our first vacation of the summer was spent in Coeur d'Alene, Idaho for Garrett's family reunion. Garrett's parents have a friend that they knew from Alaska who now lives near Coeur d'Alene in a beautiful, huge house that accomodated all 19 of us. The ranch was out in the middle of nowwhere in a place called Medimont (about 45 minutes from Coeur d'Alene). We were there from July 3rd to July 11th.
Our house for the week

View around the house
SATURDAY
On the 4th of July we went to the Coeur d'Alene 4th of July Parade. Garrett made everyone matching "reunion" t-shirts, so we all wore those to the parade. It was a great parade full of music and fun, but the kids didn't like it because there wasn't any candy. I guess that's why kids go to parades.

Paige, Alyssa, Maggie, Lydia, Sydney, Devon and Uncle Alex

Josh, Meggin and Tanya (standing)

Bella and Garrett
Mindy and Bella
Savann and Paige

After the parade, most of the kids and Uncle Jake went swimming. Everyone else hung out around the pool and watched. Bella somehow hurt herself and this is a picture of Grandpa Jim comforting her. It's a cute picture.
That night everyone except Jim, Jake and his little girl Celeste (9 months), and Bella and I, went to watch the fireworks in Coeur d'Alene. They got there kind of early, so they played around on the grass. Paige and her little cousin Hannah get along really well, so we got a few pictures of them.
SUNDAY
We had a really great day on Sunday. Jim got permission to hold a family sacrament and testimony meeting. So, we partook of the sacrament and then nearly everyone bore their testimony, which was pretty cool. We knew that we were going to be doing this, so I had planned a family home evening a few weeks before about bearing testimonies, because my girls never bear their testimonies. So, I thought we could practice at home and maybe they'd be more comfortable for this family testimony meeting in Idaho. After a few of the adults went, Paige jumped up and offered her testimony with out any help from Garrett or I. We were so impressed with her! Maggie shared hers at the end and I was really proud of her too. Lydia really had no desire. She sounds like me. :)
Another really neat thing about the meeting was that our brother-in-law, Alex is not a member. I think he's always been afraid that we were going to somehow trick him into being baptised or something. He is one of the neatest guys I have ever met, though. But anyway, he even shared some of his thoughts and feelings with us about the importance of family and how he really looks forward to McKibben family vacations because everyone is so close, etc. He's not the type of person that shares his feelings easily, so it was that much neater to hear him. I don't know if you read my blog or not Alex, but sorry to put you on the spot!

After a fantastic Phillipino dinner prepared by Alex and Savann, the family put on a Talent Show. We knew about it in advance and eveyone was supposed to be working on something that they could share. Now, when I first heard about this I was very much against it. It scared the bejeebees out of me. I just don't get up in front of people and do things. Period. But, I have to say that it was one of the funnest nights of the vacation. It was a lot of fun participating in it and watching everyone else! Our family sang a song that Lydia learned it Kindergarten called the "Tootie Ta" song. It is a silly song that gets everyone involved. (Well, except Lydia--she's really much shyer than I realized.)
Singing the Tootie ta song
Garrett and I putting on a skit. It was a cooking show about "making girls"--because that's our talent! Ha! 
Maggie and I sang and "danced" to a song from High School Musical. She was Sharpay and I was Ryan. Maggie sang a few songs with her cousins from the Hannah Montana Movie.
Maggie and Sydney singing "Let's Get Crazy" by Hannah Montana
She also sang and danced "The Hoedown Throwdown" from the Hannah Montana movie with her cousins Sydney and Alyssa and Aunt Meggin; and even sang a SOLO! Wow!! You go girl!
Paige performed her chick dance from her ballet recital and sang some songs with her cousin Hannah.
Georgia dressed up as Miss Piggy and talked to all the kids (she used to do this as a side business delivering balloons).

Jim did his stand up comedy routine as Foster Brooks which was funny to see him act like he was drunk.

Savann, Alex and their family did some dances from Alex's native Alaskan tribe (Tlingket, I think).

Sydney and Alyssa played the piano and cute little Devon sang Yankee Doodle Dandy. It was really cute. And Savann sang "Silent Night" which was really pretty.
Josh and Tanya did these hilarious singing 'upside down people'. I wish I could remember their names. It was DJ something or other. They were so funny--singing Kiss the Girl and a couple of other songs.

Josh's eyeball kept falling off--the kids thought that was hilarious!


Meggin and Jacob did a really fun dance--of course--they are both awesome dancers! (Sorry I didn't get pictures of yours for some reason.)
After the talent show we had root beer floats while Jacob and Garrett set off some fireworks. It was a really fun day.
Well, since I only got through two days, this post is going to have to be continued later...sorry it's so long.

2 comments:

Nissinen's said...

What a fun family idea,,, a talent show. I love it!!!

tiffany said...

Hey Mind! Glad to hear more about your time in Idaho! Garrett's family is a hoot! Loved your skit about "making girls"!! How ingenious! (Is that the right word?) Loved that! Can't wait to hear about the rest of your trip!