We met up with my cousin Tysha and her kids Sydnee, Cody and Joey to watch the parade.

Sydnee, Maggie, Joey Paige and Garrett (looking really excited to be there)

Bella keeping herself busy

One of the floats
It wasn't the best parade I've seen...but they were pretty generous with the candy--the kids were happy. We left the park and got some lunch and then went to this place called the American West Heritage Center right there in Wellsville maybe 5 minutes from my parent's house. I think this was the funnest part of the day. Plus, everyone got in free since it was pioneer day--score! This is from their website:
"We are a nonprofit organization devoted to celebrating and preserving the heritage of our area, which is Cache Valley, Utah, and its surrounding regions. We do this primarily through living history activities, events, school programs, exhibits, and outreach activities."
If you come in the summer, you'll be able to come to our Daily Adventures (June - August; Tues - Sat), where living history demonstrations, hands-on old-fashioned fun is to be had at four sites representing four different time periods, including:
A Shoshone Encampment
A Mountain Man Camp
A Pioneer Family Settlement
A 1917 Farm


A Shoshone Encampment
A Mountain Man Camp
A Pioneer Family Settlement
A 1917 Farm


Then we went to the mountain man camp that was really interesting--the guy there (dressed as a mountain man) told stories of Jim Bridger and Lewis and Clark and other mountain men. After that we went to the Pioneer Family settlement...

Going into one of the pioneer homes
Inside the mud hut...

Then we went to the 1917 farm while Garrett listened to a 15 minute talk and demonstration for a gatling gun. We also went on a covered wagon ride while we waited for Garrett. Lydia got to sit in front...

Part of the pioneer settlement
Lydia and Paige riding ponies
We had to leave this place at 5 and head home because we were going to the Ogden Rodeo with my parents and cousin Tysha and her family.

It was so hot even when we got there and continued to stay hot all night. I thought Utah cooled down at night?! Anyways, the rodeo was awesome--I love all things "cowboy". The beginning was my favorite part...they had 8 or 9 guys skydive out of a plane and land in the arena one at a time. It was so cool to watch them come in and land. The last one was carrying an American flag...so cool to watch it waving in the sky and then to sing the National Anthem and honor the soldiers who were out on the field--I love America!!!

I think the girls really liked the rodeo, too. They all love horses, so they were in heaven getting to see all the pretty ponies. The girl's favorite part was the crowning of the new rodeo queen. They actually put a tiara on top of the queen's cowgirl hat. Paige really liked that. They loved that each girl had a different color outfit--Paige especially. We all really like the bull riding, but of course they keep that until the end.

I like that that they play fun country music throughout the rodeo (I'm the only one in my family that likes country.) At the end, they had these freestyle motorcross riders do some awesome jumps and tricks. I have never really seen anything like this, so I thought it was pretty cool.
This is such crazy stuff!!
They also had some great fireworks for Pioneer day. Paige and Bella were exhausted...they crashed before it ended.

Dad, Bella and Mom
Joey, Eric (Tysha's husband--hard to see him), Cody, Tysha, Dad, Bella, Mom, Sydnee (can't see her head) and Maggie. So, I have to say that Utah showed us a pretty good Pioneer Day!



4 comments:
Sounds fun! Like your pic of the skydiver!
Tiff, I guess I cheated...got that picture off the internet. :) I had too many kids on my lap to get a good picture like that!
Well, you could have gotten it, sans the kids in your lap...enjoyed the post anyway!
What a busy day! No wonder your kids were wiped out! But hey, when you're on vacation sometimes you need to cram in all the fun you can get.
Post a Comment