Friday, July 9, 2010

Introducing....

NOAH
Our baby boy was born on July 1st. We went in for a repeat C-section at 10 am and he was delivered at 12:51 pm. When they pulled him out, they discovered that the cord had been wrapped around his neck 3 or 4 times and all the nurses kept joking that he was quite the swimmer to be flipping around in my uterus so much to be so tangled up. (Having the cord around his neck isn't dangerous until labor begins--thank heavens!) When he came out, the first thing I heard Garrett ask was, "Is it a boy?" :) I think he was still skeptical until there was actual proof! But, we finally got our little boy. Much to our surprise though, he only weighed 7 lbs 6 oz and not the 10 lbs that Garrett was predicting. He is the smallest of all our babies. I'm not sure if his petite size had to do with his two vessel cord or not. Could be possible, I think. He measured at 20 1/2 inches long and has really big feet, long toes, long fingers and really short eyelashes. He is perfect--such a cute boy.

While we were in the hospital, he lost quite a bit of weight. He got down to 6 lbs. 8 oz. Luckily, my milk came in and he started eating better. They were a little concerned about his bilirubin level (all of our kids have had jaundice, but only two had to have the bilirubin lights/blanket) and almost didn't let us come home. But when we went to his first doctor's appointment, he had gained some weight back and was at 6 lbs. 13 oz. and his bilirubin level had gotten better. Hopefully he's still gaining weight.

We named him Samuel Noah Garrett McKibben and will be calling him Noah. We had to give him so many names so that Garrett and I could each use the names we wanted. We both liked Noah so we knew that's what his name was going to be. I really wanted his middle name to be Garrett, but Garrett wanted to use either his dad's (and his) first name, which is James; or his grandpa's first name, which was Samuel. We both liked Samuel better with Noah. We put Samuel first because that's how his grandpa's name was, even though he went by his middle name. It was Samuel Dewey and Garrett wanted it to follow that same way. So, we came up with Samuel Noah Garrett McKibben. Kind of confusing and long, but it fits him.
Just a little warning: there are a lot of pictures!

My big belly at 39 weeks--the day he was born

Our family of 6 about to be a family of 7!
Me in the hospital awaiting the big moment

Just after he was born


McKibben--family of 7


They gave him a binky dipped in sugar water during the circumcision
Garrett and his son!!




His four big sisters
Lydia. I had forgotten to tell people that she got glasses the day before I had Noah. Isn't she cute with them on?
Paige
Maggie

Grandma Hansen

The girls admiring their new brother


Bella--she especially is loving Noah. She is always wanting to see him and hold him. She gets right up in his face and talks to him. It is really cute!!



Noah at the hospital right before going home

His first car ride--he is so small!! We forgot to bring the little head rest thing for newborns so had to improvise with a blanket.
One last picture at home...
Bear with me...there are more blogs and pictures to come, I just have to find the time between feedings!

8 comments:

tiffany said...

Oh, so happy to see more pics of the cute little guy and to hear more about his birth and homecoming!! I've been chomping at the bit, but was trying to be patient. I know you're slightly busy caring for 5 kids now and recuperating yourself! Love those cute shirts the girls had....I'm guessing you made those?! Hope you're doing well! Love ya!

kate n. said...

What a cutie!
I'm glad the cord around his neck wasn't an issue - that can be scary!
Love the girls shirts. Mindy, you think of everything!

Megan said...

Yay!! So fun to see all of the pictures. He is such a cutie and I love seeing all of the girls holding him, especially little Bella. The shirts turned out great, mom told me about how difficult they were, but it seems worth it. I hope you're hanging in there!! Thanks for posting.

Beth said...

oh he is so cute! I think it had to be the two blood vessel thing, why he was smaller. I love the T-shirts too. Hope you are healing and that he's not keeping you up all hours of the night.

Meggin & Jacob said...

I was eagerly awaiting more pictures but I know from recent personal experience just how hectic the first week at home is, and how fast it goes, so I appreciate and understand the effort/sacrifice you made to share these moments with us! I can already see a lot of Garrett in little Noah's face-very similar to Bella. Your hearts have to be so full!

Lisa said...

Congratulations! What wonderful pictures! Funny, I swear that's the room I was in with Sophie when you and Gabe came to visit me. What's with all you all girl families finally having boys? Hmmm...something in the Cornelius water. Btw, I love his name...it's so distinguished!

Anonymous said...

he looks like Maggie!
Congrats...you can nver be 100 percent till they come out and he was b orn on Canada Day EH!

Tanya McKibben said...

Oh Mindy! He is so sweet! I can't wait to meet him. I really think Caleb will be so happy to play with Noah at reunions :) We miss you guys. Did Josh get in touch with Garrett...I think we might be trying to get out there for a few days to meet the little one and see you guys. No pressure though. We would help take care of you and the girls :) Love Tanya