Monday, March 30, 2009

Camping in Vernonia

Last Saturday we met up with some friends to go camping in a small town close by called Vernonia. I've never been there before, but a lot of people go camping there because it's close by. I guess they camped here last summer for our ward campout, but we missed that due to being over seas.

Anyways, our friends Terri and Aaron Nissinen started camping on Thursday, but due to Garrett working and me going to see Wicked on Friday, we could only go on Saturday til Monday. Since I am a complete procrastinator, I hadn't packed everything on Friday like I should have, so we didn't leave as early on Saturday as we had wanted. Plus I hurt my back somehow-probably by just sleeping on it weird-so I couldn't lift anything or hardly move, so that slowed us down also.

We finally got to Vernonia around 2ish I think and met up with the Nissinens. It was a fun place to camp with places for kids to ride their bikes, it had a great playground, a nice lake and a place to go shooting. So we had a good time hanging out and letting the kids play and letting our husbands shoot guns. Garrett now informs me that he will be buying a machine gun. No matter what. Great. Terri's brother in law brought one I guess and Garrett got to shoot it and loved it even more. We also played card games--they taught us a new fun one called Hand and Foot. If you ever need games to play--go to Terri--she is full of fun ideas! Both nights we were able to hang out by the campfire and talk. Campfires are my favorite part of camping!

So, since my back was hurting so bad--well not too bad since I was popping medicine the whole time, but still a nuisance--Terri told me about something called reflexology. I think the basic idea is that areas on the foot correspond to areas of the body, and that by manipulating these one can improve health or lessen the pain you are feeling. So, since I didn't want to continue taking medicine or feel the pain again, I went ahead and let her massage my foot. I have a "thing" with feet. I don't like touching any body else's feet or having people touch my feet. I know I'm strange, but I've been this way my whole life--ask anyone in my family. So, to let her do this was a big deal for me. But, I'm glad I let her do it because the pain totally went away. It was great! While she was massaging, it did hurt, but she wasn't applying a lot of pressure, so that was kind of odd. But it was well worth it.

We only took two pictures that whole weekend. I don't know why I never think about taking more pictures. Bella swung in a swing for her first time there and she loved it. Missed taking pictures of that one. Oh well. I did get a good shot of her with her two bottom teeth. I'll post that, just to post a picture.

1 comment:

Nissinen's said...

We had lots of fun with you and your family!! A "must-do" again!! I'm glad you are one of my new patients!! Reflexology is really amazing. Call and make an appt. anytime.... Terri