Sunday, February 8, 2009

12 Years

Yesterday, February 7th was mine and Garrett's 12 year anniversary. Wow! We can't believe that it's been 12 years. They have been wonderful years, though. Full of adventure, excitement, happy times, sad times, births, deaths, ups and downs...you name it.

Garrett and I met in Provo while we were going to BYU. We were both living in the same apartment complex, Southridge, so we were also in the same ward. He actually didn't move in until Jan. of 1996 because he had gotten off his mission in October of 1995. He was assigned as my hometeacher, but his friends and my friends started hanging out together.

The first thing we did together as a group was go to see "Vocal Point" (an acapella group) at the end of February. Then he asked me out and we went on a group date to see the "Lamanite Generation" which was on March 8th and the next night, we went on our first "alone" date to see the play "The Glass Menagerie". It was fun and after that we started spending all our time together until the end of the semester.

He went home to Alaska and I went home to Texas for the summer. We wrote and talked on the phone a lot, and by then he was pretty serious. I was still up in the air because by this point he was talking marriage and I was a little overwhelmed. At the end of the summer, I flew up to Alaska to meet his family and hang out for a week. It was fun and being with him again made me realize how great he was and how much I did love him.

We flew back to Provo together and hung out every second we could. We even had a couple of classes together. Then at the end of September, he took me horse back riding in Idaho and asked me to marry him. It was pretty surreal to be engaged, but by then I knew he was the one for me. We got married in the Salt Lake Temple and honeymooned in Salt Lake for the weekend and got back to school on Monday. But at the end of the semester, we were able to go to Mexico for a real honeymoon!

And twelve years, a few pounds heavier and four kids later...here we are. Best friends and still very much in love. Garrett is the best husband and father I could have hoped for. He is always there to help out and when I am stressed and frustrated he can always make me laugh and realize that things are okay. I love him more today than the day we got married!

And now for the pictures...


April 1996 Garrett and I when we were first dating.

In Alaska--what a handsome guy!


Coming back to Provo in Fall 1996. In my apartment.
Wedding Day--February 7, 1997

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Cute, Mindy Sue! Geez, you guys look so young! So, did you do anything fun for your anniversary, or are you waiting for the weekend? Congrats!

tiffany said...

That was so sweet! Yeah, what did you do for your anniversary?

Anonymous said...

Happy 12th! You look the same...it is only Garret who has changed!

Lisa said...

Wow, you guys are babies! I would have NEVER recognized Garret. Isn't it amazing how fast 12 years flies by? Congrats!

Jacki said...

Congrats!! So fun to see your pictures!

Beth said...

What a sweet post. I love love. So cheezy I know, but I love to learn how people met and fell in love. Happy Anniversary!

Megan said...

I'm glad you got your blog back to normal! This was a really cute post!

JoAnnHansen said...

Mindy & Garrett,
Happy Anniversary! Your pictures were so cute, you look so beautiful as a bride. Made me cry again! So happy for you & Garrett!
Enjoy many more together!
Love,
Mom