Tuesday, February 2, 2016

Fun 4th of July Weekend

Thursday July 2nd
 Playing with his new birthday toys
 We headed over to Jim and Georgia's for dinner.  The kids decided to sleep out in the barn with their cousins.  (everyone but Noah)
 Garrett had some guy make this giant Jenga game.  Everyone loved it!
 Friday July 3rd
 We had a BBQ at our house.  Bella loves Unlce Alex...and they both love watermelon!
Josh and Tanya and their 3 kids arrived today.  
After dinner, all the kids played in the sprinklers.  
Saturday July 4th
 Us 4 got up early to do the CAT Walk. (a 5K) We had Josh and Tanya stay at our house the previous night and they brought the rest of our kids to the parade after the CAT walk.
 a picture of the walkers walking down Main Street
 Then we hung out in the hot sun for an hour waiting for the 4th of July parade to start.
 Noah, Bella, Paige, Hannah and Caleb waiting for more candy
 After the parade we went back to Grandma's for lunch and swimming
 Later that evening, we were headed down south to go to the St. Paul Rodeo.  Jim of all people got pulled over by a cop.  I can't remember why he got pulled over...I don't think it was for speeding because Jim is a really slow driver!  We all thought it was funny!
 At the rodeo.  It was such a hot day and it wasn't getting any cooler as the evening came on.  We had seats in a covered area, which was nice because it kept the sun off.  But it was also bad because there wasn't any air circulating at all and it felt hotter under that area than out in the open.  So that was pretty miserable, but it was a fun rodeo.  
We left a little early.  My little kids were extremely tired and miserable.  Josh and Tanya had left even earlier.  Maggie really wanted to stay so she stayed with Alex and Savann and their family.  
 They stayed till the very end and then went on some of the rides.  They brought her all the way home and then drove to Jim and Georgia's.  
 Maggie and Devon.
Sunday July 5th
 After church, we went back out to grandma's to hang out with everyone.  The kids loved playing up in their room in the barn.  It's cool that they loved it, but we couldn't let them stay up there very long, because it was extremely warm up there.  The barn has windows, but none that can open.  We brought up fans, but all it did was blow around warm air.  
 They went swimming again...numerous times in fact.
 Alyssa and Sydney
 Alyssa reading in a tree. :)
 Grandma made homemade ice cream!
Devon, Paige, Hannah, Caleb, Bella, Noah and Luke
 taking turns licking the ice cream stirrer-thing
Monday July 6th 
We had Noah's birthday party at Out of this World Pizza
Tuesday July 7th
 Today we drove down to Maupin, Oregon to go white water rafting down the Deschutes River.  Garrett has been wanting to do this forever, and I've never had the desire.  I don't really like the water.  Especially rough flowing water with large rocks!  All of his siblings were willing to go and he bought a ticket for me despite me not wanting to.  
 Beautiful scenery on our 2 1/2 hour drive there.  Once we got to the little town of Maupin we were a little late, so we went to the shop and quickly filled out our paperwork, went to the bathroom and stored our stuff.  None of us had a waterproof camera or anything, so we didn't get to take pictures.  But luckily, some of the other people on our tour had one, so they took our pictures.  And then we bought the rest from the professional photographers that the rafting company employs.  I was wishing the whole day that I could take pictures, but this is what I have.  Still a lot of good ones, but I would've liked some more candid ones when we were just floating along.
So anyways, back to the shop...we all got on a bus so they could take us to the river.  When we got to where we could see the river, I was SO nervous!!  It was a big wide river and the water was really rushing along.  I was really terrified of falling out or getting smashed up against the rocks!  So, he's giving us instructions as we're putting on sunscreen and our life vests.  And he's of course talking about worst case scenarios like if you do get knocked out of the boat and you are stuck under water, etc.  By this time, I'm dying!!  And then he mentions SNAKES being out on the rocks (on the shore) and now I'm really freaking out because I'm thinking they are in the water, too!  (Lonesome Dove anyone???)  But, there's no where else to go so I get in a raft.  (and there were no snakes in the water--I asked him.  didn't even see one the whole day!!)
 Our big group had to split up, so we had Josh, Tanya and Hannah in with me, Garrett, Maggie, Lydia and Paige and our guide whose name was Travis and was so cool!  
 Alex, Savann, Devon, Sydney, Alyssa and Jim were in with their guide, but I didn't know her name.  
 These (the ones above) are the only pictures of the other group...the rest is our group.  
 There are quite a few pictures, but I love the faces in all of them!  When we first got on the water, it was really calm for awhile and this is when Travis taught us how to row together, he explained how to hold on with our feet, ex.  When the first rapids came, it was a bit scary, but mostly fun...the rapids weren't too bad.  Hannah, being the youngest was really afraid and started crying.  She got over it fairly quickly.  Paige was pretty worried, but soon realized how fun it was and loved it. 
 All in all it was quite entertaining and quite fun!  In between rapids, we would have water fights with the two other boats in our group.  We brought some soakers and Garrett got a lot of people wet.  There were also times where you could jump out for a few seconds and swim a bit, but it seemed quite hard to get back in the boat, so I never went in.  The people in the boat had to physically pull the people in the water into the boat by their life jackets.  Plus, it was freezing water!!
 They had this thing where you could "ride the bull".  It's where one person would sit on the front of the boat and hold onto the ropes as you went down the rapids.  I did it once and it was quite fun.  Paige, Maggie, Lydia and Hannah did it a couple of times.  
 At one point, we stopped at a picnic area and they had lunch for us...hamburgers, hot dogs, chicken, salads, fruit, chips and cookies.  It was good.  We had a little while to just hang out before we got back in the boats and continued on.  
 There was another area where they had everyone get off the boat and let people swim down the rapids.  You had to be a pretty strong swimmer to do it and not get swept down the river.  I of course, did not do it.  But Maggie, Garrett, Sydney, Alyssa, Devon and Alex did it.  Maggie and Garrett said it was really hard and Maggie didn't think she was going to make it.  The Guthrie kids are all swimmers and they thought it was hard, but doable.  
 It was a super fun day!!  Maggie and Lydia loved it too, but Lydia was so pumped up about it!  I think she's found a new love!  We went from 10 to about 4:30.  When we got back to the shop, we changed clothes and then went to pick out our photographs.  Our guide suggested a local restaurant to eat dinner at.  So we did...

It was this cute little place called the Oasis and I have to say that it was the best burger that I have ever had...it was so good and they had delicious shakes, too!!  
Then we drove back home...beautiful view of Mt. Hood on the way home!
We had such a great day!!

2 comments:

Megan said...

Wow, that does sound fun!! You were so adventurous! I would have been JUST like you, nervous about the rapids and the snakes!!! Uh yeah, Lonesome Dove has scarred us all for life! I'm even more terrified of bodies of water since I saw the snake (right next to me!) in the lake! I felt bad for that Hannah girl. Glad she wasn't scared the whole time. Reminded me of The River Wild too. Glad you didn't have a Gauntlet to go down and Kevin Bacon out to get you!! What a fun day!

Unknown said...

Sorry to just now reading your blog. Kinda forgot that I was way behind on reading. I love to see all the stuff your family does! Looks like a very fun 4th of July. Don't think you would get me on that raft!