Thursday, January 29, 2015

Camping at Detroit Lake

Since we had been gone all summer, we didn't have any opportunities to go camping.  We made sure that we had a reservation at our favorite place, Detroit Lake, when we got back.  We headed out on Aug. 24th, in the afternoon.  As soon as we got there and got things set up, the kids wanted to go down to the lake to swim.  
A lovely view on our way down to the lake.
It's so gorgeous here!
Having fun in the inner tubes!
Noah deciding if he wants to go in or not
We stayed for about an hour or so and then headed back to camp to have dinner, then s'mores, then off to bed.
August 25th
Usually when we come here, we just play in the lake with our inner tubes and blow up raft.  This time, Garrett decided to rent a pontoon boat for the day so we could "cruise the lake in style".  We loaded a cooler with our lunch and snacks and took off around 10.  I have to say it was the funnest and most relaxing day!  We absolutely loved it!
Three cuties
Garrett really liked the pontoon, but was wishing for a little more speed now and then.
Mag and Lyd
Of course they brought their barbies in case they got bored.  They soon lost interest in those.
Me and my scooter
We cruised around for awhile
We came upon some ducks and fed them some bread.  My kids giggled and laughed and had so much fun.  I guess I've never taken the younger ones to feed ducks.  We used to do it all the time with M&L.
Another great view
We finally found a place to stop for swimming.  Lydia was the brave one and jumped in first.  It was REALLY cold!  She's so cute with her puffy cheeks!  They were still swollen from her surgery.
Paige and Lydia
Noah and Bella thinking about getting in
then Maggie
and Bella
Noah didn't ever get in.  It would've been too cold for him anyways.  I stayed on the boat with him.  It was still quite cloudy and was too chilly for me.  
We cruised around some more and ate lunch, then found a different spot.  By then it was warming up more, so I got in the lake too.  It was still pretty cold, but I stayed on the inner tube the whole time. I'm not much of a swimmer. 
Noah kicking back in style
Drying off and warming up
Found one more place to swim.
We had to have the boat back by 5, so we started heading back--giving Maggie an opportunity to drive.
The boys
Garrett dropped us off at the dock closest to our campground and then took the boat back to the marina where our car was parked.  It was such a fun day.  I think we'll have to rent one of those every time we go to Detroit Lake!
August 26
We were supposed to stay 2 more days, but the Youth in our ward were having a lake trip at nearby Hagg Lake for an activity that evening and Maggie really wanted to go to hang out with her friends.  So, before we even came out, we decided to leave Tuesday afternoon.  I found out Tuesday morning that they had to cancel the activity.   They closed the lake because 4 members of one family had drowned in the lake the day before.  They had closed the lake to search for the bodies.  It was so so sad.  None of them were wearing life jackets, which is so awful!  Despite the activity being cancelled, we still left in the afternoon because we had appointments for Maggie and Lydia the next day for a check-up for their wisdom teeth.   
So, we spent the morning playing around with toys and cleaning up breakfast.  
Then we took the kids to the park to play for a little bit before leaving.  
It was such a fun trip, but too short.  Sadly, that was the last time that we have been camping.  

4 comments:

tiffany said...

What a beautiful lake!! Looks like you had it all to yourself, too! I would love to just cruise around on that Pontoon boat all day! You guys always do such fun things!! That's really sad about that family!

Megan said...

Oh my heavens!! That place looks gorgeous and it sounds so fun!! I'm impressed you decided to go camping. After being gone all summer, I would have said too bad, I'm staying home. But that looked like a fabulous camping trip. And I loved your Great Outdoors quote! Totally made me laugh. And what a tragedy about that family. I hate hearing about stuff like that. Just awful.

Unknown said...

It really looks like a beautiful place to camp! The boat looks fun, but I would have stayed on it instead of getting in the water! Just like crusin"
The kids all look great - thanks for keeping us updated on all of the events! Didn't know both girls had wisdom teeth out!

gmckibbe said...

Didn't you see my previous post mom? It was about them getting their teeth out. Plus, I thought I told you that when it happened?