July 3rd
We had a really leisurely day today. Like I said in my last post, Noah slept till 10:30. I just stayed down there with him reading until he woke up because I didn't want to leave him all alone. After getting up, we ate breakfast and decided to go on a walk around downtown and also down to the docks. Savann and her family live about 5-10 minutes from town (that's walking; 2-3 minutes driving).
Mr. Tired
Down at the docks showing the kids all the fishing boats.
Of course it started to rain a little bit while we were down there, but it didn't last long.
This is a Norwegian ship that they have on display downtown, because Petersburg was founded by Norwegians. It's nickname is "Little Norway".
A beautiful view
While we were there, this National Geographic boat came in. It was giving some kind of tour. By the time we walked back home, it was lunchtime.
Before we got back, the 4 older girls--Maggie, Lydia, Sydney and Alyssa went on a walk downtown. They went to some of the stores and to the library. They stopped and had lunch and shakes at one of the restaurants downtown.
Having ice cream
walking downtown
Totem poles down town
walking back home
When everyone got home we were just visiting in their living room and the kids started wrestling and doing leg wars.
I think this was Maggie's first time ever doing the leg war.
Sydney and Alyssa
Garrett and Devon wrestling
When they were finally done wrestling, we drove 'out the road' to go get some fireworks for the next day. That evening, their community center was hosting a bunch of fun activities for the 4th of July. They kind of celebrate all week long up there. So we went over to check it out.
They had this picture cut out thing that you could stand behind and get your picture taken. Isn't he a cute Norwegian boy?
They had cake and juice, too.
There was a gym full of bounce houses and slides
You could go in a racquetball court and play "wallyball". It's just like volleyball except you can use the walls.
Rock climbing walls (That was Alex)
And sumo wrestling. Sydney, Alyssa and Devon had all done it. Lydia really wanted to do it, so I volunteered to do it with her. I've never done it before--just because the thought of putting on something so sweaty and germy kind of freaked me out. But, I put all that aside and did it for Lydia. She was so excited to do it. I think she was excited about the possibility of taking me down.
Me all ready to go.
...and Lydia--very ready to rumble
Taking our positions
That girl was really aggressive. It's harder than you think to move around in those. We had three tries and she beat me 2 out of 3. The one time I got her down, I decided to jump on her --more like fall--and it was so pathetic because I rolled right off of her. We were laughing so bad. I wish I could post the video here because it was really funny.
It was definitely fun and I'm glad we did it.
When we got back to the house, Savann had dinner all ready for us. She made crab enchiladas. These are most of the kids eating.
Later that evening, Alex had thrown some fish guts out onto the beach and a bunch of eagles came to eat up the guts. It was so cool to see them so close.
We didn't do much that night. Got the kids in bed and read/visited for awhile and then we were in bed ourselves soon after. The next morning we had to be up fairly early because we were participating in a 5K Color Run.
1 comment:
LOVE the sumo wrestling!! You guys looked great! I realized I never saw the video. We got distracted by something-dang it! It is hard to move in those things. I did it with Kristin Smith at after prom and she beat me all three times! It was a lot of fun though!
Post a Comment