We rarely ever get snow. In fact our last BIG snowstorm was back in 2008. So, when we do get a storm, the weather people like to make a big deal out of it. Once in a while we get a couple inches of snow or maybe it freezes for a day and it seems even then, the weather people give the storms names. I can't even think of what they called the last minor storm--I think it was "Arctic Blast" or something funny like that. On Feb. 6th, we got a big snow storm and they named it "Snowmageddon 2014".
It started snowing on Thursday the 6th around 11ish and it was coming down so fast that they let the middle school and high school kids out early. Because all the buses were in use, the kindergartners (who usually come home at 1) had to stay at school until the rest of the elementary kids normally get out at 2:20. Bella had stayed home that day because she had a cough, so it didn't really affect us. But by the time Lydia and Paige got home, there was enough snow on the ground to go out and play.
It snowed off and on for 3-4 days. I don't even know how much snow we got in total, but it was enough to shut everything down. School was cancelled for Friday--and then on Monday too after we got freezing rain on Sunday night. The temperatures stayed down below freezing over the weekend. Maggie had a youth conference to go to on Friday and Saturday, which was cancelled. Her basketball game Saturday morning was cancelled and church was cancelled on Sunday. Cornelius maybe has one snow plow, and so none of the streets ever get plowed. Unfortunately, the airport was still open and planes were still flying. Garrett left on Saturday morning to go on a business trip to Las Vegas and then on to San Jose. We were hoping that they wouldn't be flying, so he could stay home, but no such luck. He had to go pretty slow on the back roads to get to the freeway, but as soon as he got to the freeway, they had been plowed, so he didn't have any problems. He was gone until Thursday night.
We had a pretty relaxing weekend. Lots of playing outside and some sledding before Garrett had to leave. I went out one time with the kids--snow and cold really aren't my thing. We had fun watching movies and playing and just being lazy.
Garrett and I did manage to go out for our anniversary on the 7th. Thank heavens for 4 wheel drive! We went to eat at a little restaurant in downtown Forest Grove called PacThai, which was really quite good. Then we went to our local theater two minutes from our house and saw the movie "Jack Ryan". It was nice that we didn't have to go very far. Anyways, here's lots of pictures of the kids playing out in the snow from the whole weekend.
Ready to go out--pink gloves and all. I guess we need to buy some 'boyish' snow gloves.
Bella tried to build a snowman on the first day of snow, but it wouldn't stick together.
Bella playing in the fire pit. Perfect little size for her.
A view of our street
The night of our anniversary--driving from the restaurant to the movie theater. I just thought it looked really cool.
Breaking off the icicles hanging from my car
Snow angels
This was Sunday and the snow was really icy and hard
Finally building their snowman
Lydia and "Garrett". They named the snowman Garrett in honor of Garrett who couldn't be there with them.
My kids had been watching the movie, "The Croods" over and over again all weekend and this was Paige and Bella dressed up as Cave women. I thought it was so funny! I loved how creative they were with their outfits! They had school on Tuesday, but there was still a lot of snow everywhere. It was warming up, so everything was pretty slushy. I think it was pretty much gone by Wednesday though. I'm glad--I don't like it to stick around very long. :)
3 comments:
That was quite a snowstorm you all had, since you really don't get any. I guess we were there the last time you had snow. Fun pictures - great to have some down time and not have to go anywhere.
You know, I think they called it Snowmageddon here too. Isn't that funny? I'm surprised you guys had so much snow gear for the kids to go out and play. We were pretty desperate this year. We'll have to be more prepared for next year. Looks like the kids had a great time. I'm like you. The snow is nice for a few days and then I'm over it. And I wish we would get it in December instead, but I'm glad we got a little! It is fun for a little bit!
Cute pics! Looks like they had a blast! It is a treat when it doesn't happen too often! We've had way more than our share this year, but I always do love watching it fall....so pretty! Your neighborhood is so pretty too with those big pine trees at the end of your street! Wish I could come visit!
Post a Comment