For Garrett's birthday, I got him a "Weekend Getaway" for the 2 of us to Bend in central Oregon. I bought a groupon deal for a condo there in Bend. When I bought it, I don't think I realized that it was a 4 hour drive to get there. Oh well, it wasn't that bad. It was a beautiful drive, going through Detroit Lake area. Jim and Georgia watched the kids for us. (Thank you!!) So we left Friday afternoon about 1 and got there around 5ish.
This is the place where we stayed--called Seventh Mountain Resort and Condo. It was a really nice place and we both loved the terrain-the high desert type of area. It's really pretty!
This is what the condo looked like. It had a bedroom with a king bed and a nice bathroom too.
We went to the condo and dropped our stuff off and then went in search of food. We also decided that we wanted to see a movie, so found a restaurant near a movie theater. We ate at a really good Hawaiian place and then walked next door and saw "The Great Gatsby". In 3D. I don't normally like watching in 3D, but that was the only showing for that time.
Jim and Georgia took all 5 kids out for dinner at Red Robin. I was quite impressed that they took them all to a sit down dinner. This is Paige licking what was left of the dessert they shared. Getting spoiled by grandparents already. We never get desserts!
Chocolate everywhere! :)
May 18
The next day was so incredibly nice. We got to sleep in...late. That was heavenly on it's own! (I hate waking up in the morning.) After getting ready, we had a yummy breakfast (brunch) at a really good pancake house there in Bend. Then we decided to go on a hike in the beautiful outdoors. We found a trail from our condo that followed the river. It was a really nice day. A little cloudy, in the 60's; perfect for a hike. We hiked for 4 miles! It was really enjoyable, and the scenery was beautiful!
After we got back from our hike, we headed to the hot tub to relax a little. It was so nice. It had been so long since I'd been in one. I don't stay in them as long as Garrett likes to, so I headed back to the condo to shower and clean up and read before we headed out to dinner. That night we found a Thai restaurant called Noi Thai Cuisine. It was a beautiful place.
I found this picture of the inside of the restaurant online. It's still hard to see how beautiful it was, but you can get the idea.
Normally, I don't like Thai food. I'm not a big curry fan. But we went and I tried new things and I really enjoyed it. I ordered the Crispy Garlic Chicken and I think it was one of the best things I've ever eaten. Of course, Garrett loves Thai food, so he really enjoyed it too. After that, we went to see another movie. The one we saw was called "Mud". I had never heard of it before, but it was a really good movie. Plus it had Matthew McConaughey and Reece Witherspoon--2 people I really like.
Meanwhile, back at the ranch....Bella had been invited to her friend Ji-Su's birthday outing which included a trip to Build-a-Bear where she got a "My Little Pony" pegasus thing. And also got to eat out at Red Robin. Again.
Loving that macaroni and cheese!
Also that day, some of the kids in Paige's primary class were getting baptized and so we arranged for her to go with one of her friends, Ashley (who was one that got baptized). I guess Lydia ended up going too because Ashley's sister (Kali) is Lydia's best friend. After, they took them back to their house for a bbq with family and friends. So they had fun, too.
May 19
On Sunday, we had another nice leisurely morning and a late breakfast, then had to head back to Cornelius.
Grandpa Jim going down the slide
The kids had such a good time with grandma and grandpa. They played games and laughed and watched tv and ate yummy food. I'm so glad that they have great grandparents that live so close and were willing to watch our 5 monkeys.
There was one accident while we were gone. Noah was running up and down the wood floor like he does all the time (running races he says) and somehow tripped and fell face first into one of our columns. Some how he knocked one of his front teeth back and twisted it to the side and the other tooth bit through his lip. They said there was a lot of blood and a lot of crying. I was so sad that I wasn't there to help. Every time I looked at him, he just looked different like his smile had changed. His lip was really swollen and he had a bruise on his cheek that went to his nose. (You can see the bruise in the picture below--it looks like a shadow, but it is a bruise.) It's hard to tell in the above pictures, but the tooth on the left is the one that is pushed back. I couldn't get a good picture. Anyways, the next day I took him into the dentist to see if there was anything they could do and they said to just watch it and make sure it didn't get infected.
Showing off his fat lip a couple of days later.
On May 22nd, Bella graduated from Preschool. Kindergarten, here she comes!!!
Bella sitting next to her good friend David.
Singing "You're a Grand Old Flag" (they sing it every year)
Bella Preschool Graduate
I thought I'd throw in Lydia's and Paige's graduation pictures, too since they both graduated from Wonder World Preschool.
And here's Maggie, just for the fun of it. She was incredibly shy then.
Back to Bella...this is with her teacher Lynda. We sure love her!
Standing outside the door to her classroom.
Friday May 24
Camping over Memorial Day
We decided to test out our new trailer over Memorial Day Weekend. We headed down there on May 24th. We took it to Pacific City and camped in the same campground that we stayed at when we first got our last trailer. We loved it then. It was ok this time. I guess we've seen some better places since we started trailer camping. This place didn't have any cabins to rent, so Jim and Georgia got a hotel room in Tillamook and stayed there. They came and ate dinner with us twice, but we didn't see them much more than that this trip.
We parked next to this hill. The kids loved climbing it and playing on it.
When they went to the top of the hill, they found this big open sandy area. They played back there quite a bit, but I was worried because the people that worked at the campground said that there had been bear sightings in the campground.
May 25th
looking down at our new trailer.
After breakfast, Georgia called and wanted to know if we wanted to meet them and drive around Tillamook to see the sights and some lighthouses. So, we started driving out there and then I voiced my opinion that I didn't want to spend the day driving around, but hang out at the campground playing games and hiking and stuff. We were all kind of grumpy and no one would decide what to do. We finally decided not to drive around, but head back to camp and hang out. I think Garrett was a little upset about not going with his parents. So, instead...Garrett took 3 of the kids swimming. Maggie and I stayed at the trailer reading while Noah took a nap. After everyone got back and Noah woke up, we went walking around looking for trails to hike, but didn't really find one, so just walked around the campsite.
View of the ocean (way in the distance)
Dead end trail
Back at our campsite digging in the dirt while waiting for dinner.
Jim and Georgia came for dinner and we had a little fire, but we didn't stay out by it for very long.
May 26
Paige and Noah playing around
Before packing up to leave, we decided to try one more hike, this time through the sand.
Beautiful views
Running down the sand hill
This was taken as Garrett was dumping the "poop tank". I had gone to drop the garbage in the dumpster and took the picture on my way back. Little did I know that right before this, Garrett had taken a "brown shower" when he discovered that the valve wasn't closed like it was supposed to be. It wasn't a very pleasant experience.
We were supposed to stay through Monday, but we decided to come back a day early so that we could have a day at home to work on projects. We really enjoyed using the new trailer, but we were all kind of glad the trip was over and we could be back home.
Monday May 27th
Today we mostly finished Maggie and Paige's room. We hung up pictures, put up shelves, and hung up curtains. I don't have pictures yet, because we are still waiting on a few more things to get finished up and I want to show the whole room done at the same time.
Same thing goes with my laundry room. I still have a couple of things left to do and then I'll show pictures.
Wednesday May 29th
Garrett came home from work hardly able to move. The night before, he had gone to his parents house to help them take apart their bed because they just ordered a new one. I guess he was sitting on the floor with his legs criss-crossed and the iron frame fell. He leaned over to catch it and felt something in his back. Well, I guess he pulled a muscle pretty bad, because he was in serious pain on Wed. He couldn't bend, lift his feet, and could barely stand. Thursday was still the same and I finally convinced him to call the doctor. So he got an appointment for Friday morning. The doctor confirmed that he pulled a muscle and gave him some drugs and said that if it wasn't better by Monday, he should come in or try something else. I went to the store and got him a heating pad. That combined with some good drugs gave him some relief that he hadn't felt in days. It's too bad that the medicine made him completely groggy and he took about 2 long naps a day. Anyways, by the time the next Wednesday came around he thought he was doing better and was going to head into work. I guess though that he didn't take his pain medicine right away when he got out of bed, because after he got out of the shower, he was in almost as much pain as the first day. So, he stayed home and called a chiropracter. He got in the next day and whatever they did helped significantly. He went back on Friday as well for the same treatment and also a deep tissue massage. Since then, things have been a ton better. He went to work Thursday and Friday and is now back to normal. It still hurts him a little when he sits criss-cross on the floor or moves the wrong way, but it's major improvement!






2 comments:
Sounds like your getaway was fabulous! That was a good idea. I'm impressed with how much Jim and Georgia did with the kids. Good for them. Bummer about little Noah. And huge bummer about Garrett and the brown shower and his back pain. Back pain is such a drag. Glad he's feeling better.
Wow! So many things to comment on! Garrett's b-day get-a-way seemed awesome!! Great condo, great location, great food, movies! Perfect! Your camping location was gorgeous too! You're so lucky to live in such a beautiful area! Poor Noah and his tooth/lip. Seems like his smile got back to normal! :) Same with Garrett's back!
Post a Comment