Sunday, February 17, 2013

Valentines Day Fun

I don't have very many Valentine's decorations, so I thought I would get the kids help in making some. They always love to do crafts.  So, I found this one where you take coffee filters, cut them out into heart shapes, then let the kids color on them with markers.  Then you get them wet with a dropper or some sort of sprayer and then the markers bleed making really neat designs.  We made lots and hung them in front of the windows.  
This is how some of them turned out.  
My mom usually sends a little package for the kids for every holiday.  In this one for Valentines, she had little water bottles full of candy and little toys.  Noah loved his and carried around the water bottle, the cars and the mickey mouse figure everywhere he went.  These pictures are for you mom!  You did good. 
More crafts...this time I only had Paige and Noah home, so we painted some grocery sacks and then cut out hearts to make a banner that I hung in front of our mantel.  
This is the banner...I thought it turned out cute. 
Valentines Day
I always try to do some fun things on Valentine's day to make it a bit more special.  This year I had a ton of ideas that I wanted to do, but didn't get to half of them.  Oh well.  This was our breakfast table.  I bought balloons for each kid, and bought chocolate donuts with sprinkles on them so they could eat after their cereal.  
I found this cute idea to make heart shaped ice cubes out of milk mixed with food coloring.  
Noah loved the idea of having "cake" for breakfast.  
This was Noah and Bella's lunch.  Heart shaped PBJ sandwiches, strawberries, bananas, yogurt with pink sprinkles, kisses and apple juice.  Bella loved it so much that she wanted the exact same thing for lunch the next day.  
I added some last minute decorations for our dinner/party that night.  
For dinner, we had our traditional heart shaped pizzas from Papa Johns and a green salad.  I also love how Garrett brings home roses for the girls and asks them to be his Valentine.  They get to keep the flowers in their rooms.  They love it too.  
Then we played Bingo.
After that, I had found a bunch of fun "Minute to Win it" type Valentines games.  So, our first one was supposed to be tossing marshmallows into a cup.  But, Garrett changed it to an all out marshmallow war before we could get started.  I love that he always makes things silly and fun. 
The kids loved it and I think was a highlight of the night. 
Noah getting hit with a marshmallow.  I love his expression!
We finally got to the marshmallow toss and it was kind of boring after the marshmallow war.  Noah loves to throw anything, so he enjoyed it.  
Look at his form, this kid could end up being a pitcher.  :)
Our next game was to see who could stack the most conversation hearts without it toppling over.  I think Lydia or Garrett got to 23.  They found that if they licked them, they stuck together better.  It was pretty tricky though...Bella got to 12 and that was my highest.  
Love this girl.
Then we got out some candy corns for another game, but it was a dud, so Garrett being the big kid he is, started using the candy corn as teeth.  He also thought he'd be funny and put them in his ears as ear plugs because everyone was really loud.  When he tried to take them out later, the tips on both broke off and got stuck in his ears.  It freaked me out, but he eventually got them out after squirting some water in his ears.  I thought for sure we were going to end up in the ER. 
The next game was to fan a tissue paper heart across the floor and see who could do it fastest.  It was fun, but a little tricky for the smaller kids.  
Our last game was a mummy wrap using crepe paper.  Garrett wrapped Paige and had her just spin while he held the roll of crepe paper.  This was her after she collapsed from being so dizzy.  
And we ended the night with fondue!  Yummy!!
It was a fun Valentines Day with my sweet Valentines!

3 comments:

Megan said...

Goodnight woman, don't you ever get tired?! I pinned a ton of stuff for Valentines and didn't do one thing! I guess I was tired from Emmett's party. Looked like a great Valentine's Day. The best was Noah during the marshmallow war! He looked so cute!!

JoAnnHansen said...

A great Valentine party! Looks like everyone had a great time!Love the decorations, and the dishes, and the kids having fun!

tiffany said...

I second what Megan said! :)
You are non-stop fun! I am so lame! Looks like it was great fun as usual!! Can't believe Garrett got pieces of candy corn stuck in his ears!! Glad he got them out! That is sweet that Garrett always gives the girls roses!