Our stake had it's first ever handcart trek in July of this year. They were looking for people to help participate and Garrett and I really wanted to be a part of it. So, we volunteered to be a "Ma and Pa". We were both very excited about the experience
and prepared throughout the year to be ready. It was held up in Washington near Plymouth in a place called Bing Canyon. We went from July 9th through the 13th. My mom came to stay with our kids so that we could go.
I'm not going to go into all the details on here, since I've already written about it in my journal, but I will say that it was one of the hardest things I've been through. We were ready to go home the first night! There was extremely hot weather--up to 110 degrees the first day and I was not prepared for that or the physical demands of it. But I'd have to say that it was an extremely spiritual experience, one that will stay with me for a long time. If you had asked me on the last day of trek if I ever wanted to participate in a trek again, I would have said No, thank you! But looking back on it now, I definitely think I would. Because even though it was hard and at times miserable, the things I learned from it and the testimony I gained outweigh all the bad experiences.
DAY 1
Getting there early to pack our handcarts before the youth arrived
Ma and Pa McKibben
All of the Ma's and Pa's getting a lift to the handcarts. Garrett and I are in the middle.
The buses arrive with all the youth (around 250 youth--it took 6 buses to get them all there.)
Packing up gear
My daughter Maggie and her cousin Sydney (from Alaska) were able to go.
Our family on the first day
Don't let the cloud cover fool you. It eventually wore off and it got hot!!
The Rope Pull up this big hill
DAY 2
Presenting the Indians with gifts as payment to travel through their lands
Pioneer activities like learning to play the harmonica, making pioneer dolls, archery, walking on stilts, learning first aid, rope making, tomahawk throwing, etc.
Maggie having a good time
Getting to hang out with friends and having lots of waterfights to keep cool!
Putting up the tents
Our home for the night
This is the side of our handcart with our tarp making some shade for us.
We had a square dance that night, which the kids all loved
DAY 3
Short devotional from a "missionary" headed back East.
Our family eating lunch
Washing our hair was such a treat. Not only was it nice to be clean, but getting your head wet really helped you cool off. This is my niece Sydney getting her hair washed.
Trek choir
Our family resting
Our family picture
Maggie and Sydney's family picture
Evening time
DAY 4 Finally Getting to Zion!!
Devotional in the morning
Women's Pull
Maggie and Sydney's cart with the boys helping at the end
Waiting to climb "Rocky Ridge"
Our Stake President, President Richardson assigning "illnesses" to members of the families who would then not be able to help pull the hand cart up the hill. In our family, he made Garrett be the sick one.
Ma McKibben
Us looking down on the companies ahead of us thinking, we're almost there and it looks SO Easy!!
We were wrong. They saved the hardest part of the trek for the last miles in the hottest part of the day. This is the staff cart with President Richardson taking a break. It was HARD! The picture doesn't show it, but we had to pull the handcarts through sandy loose dirt up and down hills. We were all so spent!
Finally coming into Zion!
Garrett and I walking into Zion. Some other young men who had reached Zion first, came back to help those of us at the end who were having a hard time and who had run out of water. So Garrett and I walked in without our handcart or our family because they took the handcart in for us. So thankful for them!
This was our handcart
Maggie and Sydney and Maggie's friend Annica in Zion after running through the sprinklers.
TREATS!!
President Richardson
They prepared dinner for us that night, which was so nice.
Testimony meeting
Testimony Meeting and then they had another square dance.
DAY 5
After making breakfast, taking down tents and packing up gear, they had one last meeting,
Then the girls did some stuff for girls camp (since trek took the place of Girls Camp) and the boys did some scouting stuff. Everyone loves Camp songs!
Then they had a bonus dance while waiting for the buses to arrive. I love the youth--they have so much energy and love to have a good time!
Then we all went home!























4 comments:
I'm still AMAZED you didn't pass out! I'm so happy you didn't! That looks tough, but I'm glad you "enjoyed" it. It looks like quite the experience, one I'm sure you won't forget!
Such a GREAT experience! and I had a great time with the kids!!!
The whole thing looks crazy/intense. Well done for making it! They do a treck here every four years, but I've never seen pictures or heard much about it. I guess it's something I have to look forward to.
What an adventure!! I'm glad you didn't pass out as well. I don't know how you handled the heat with all that clothing you had to wear. I love the "old-fashioned" looking photos!!
Post a Comment