Monday, May 9, 2011

Becoming a Pre-Teen

Oh boy!! My little Maggie is growing up. She just turned 11. She is way too eager to grow up and be a teenager and wear make-up, babysit for other people, go to Young Women's at church and get a facebook account. I'm not ready for that yet. It seems like just yesterday she was a cute blonde haired little girl with hair sticking straight up everywhere; walking around talking our ears off (well, she still does that) and calling us Mindy and Garrett instead of mom and dad. Where has the time gone? She's a pre-teen now! She likes to remind me of that, often.

Since her actual birthday was on Easter Sunday this year, we had her friend birthday party on Friday the 22nd. She was in charge of planning it since she didn't want me planning little kiddie games for her. Not that I would've done that. :) I have to say that this was the easiest birthday party EVER with hardly any stress on me at all. So nice considering we have 3 birthdays a week apart.

She did a great job with the planning and it was a really fun party. Everyone she invited was able to come, so we had 6 girls over plus mine. When they all arrived, they started playing Just Dance on the Wii. I have a video of it. Its so cute. I wish I could share it! Most of the girls had played it before and really knew all the dance steps. Watching 8 girls dance in unison was pretty cool. Then we had pizza for dinner. Then one of the girls brought a very strange board game over that they played for a little while called Quelf. I had never heard of it before, but it had the girls giggling the whole time.
Next, the plan was to do make-overs on each other. Including nails, make-up and hair. We bought each of the girls a nail filer, some lip gloss and a bottle of nail polish. So, they set to work.




This is Ashlee...I think she asked someone to go really dark with the make-up. I think they succeeded.
Next was present time. She got some earrings, a necklace, a CD, some gift cards, lots of candy and I'm sure I'm forgetting something.

Ashlee still trying to get all that make-up off.


Aurora, Kayla, Ashlee, Emma, Maggie, Rosie and Aiyana.
Then we had cake and ice cream
Maggie requested a peanut butter cake. This has chopped up peanut butter cups on top. YUM!
Beautiful Maggie
After they ate, they turned on the movie RV (with Robin Williams) and watched until about 10:30 when the party ended. It was a fun party and Maggie had a fun time with all her friends.
On Easter morning, after looking at the goodies that the Easter Bunny brought, she got to open her presents from us.
I'm sure she won't be happy with me for posting these pictures. :)
She got a new hat, a new purse and a book: The Tales of Beetle the Bard (Harry Potter). I think it was kind of hard having her birthday on the same day as Easter, because it kind of got lost with all the Easter Celebrating. She still had a great birthday, despite that though.

3 comments:

Megan said...

Looks like a fun party! I bet that was nice to have Maggie plan it. I can't believe Maggie's 11 already, crazy! When are you going to let her open a fb account? Funny how these kids want to grow up so fast, I want to be a kid again! Happy Birthday Maggie!!

tiffany said...

Yay! Glad to see that you updated your blog! I've been wondering what was going on in the land of McKibben! Glad Maggie had fun celebrating with all her friends!

JoAnnHansen said...

Wow, you are right! Teenager here we come! Hang on! What a sweetheart she is! The party looks fun! Aren't you glad that she planned it all herself? She's always a great help!