Wednesday, May 5, 2010

36 years and 2 years

Garrett and Bella share a birthday on April 30th. Last year, we celebrated on the same day since I didn't think Bella would care very much. This year, since Bella is a little older, I thought it would be good to have a separate party for her. So on Friday night, we celebrated Garrett's birthday as a family by going out to eat at Mazatlan (his favorite restaurant) and then coming home to open presents and eat his cheesecake that he requested. He turned 36 this year.


Then on Saturday morning, we had Bella's party. She loves the Mickey Mouse Clubhouse, so I went with that theme. I found a cute skirt tutorial on someone's blog and thought it would be cute to make her a little Minnie Mouse skirt. I made it slightly too big, but I thought she looked really cute in it!

The games:



We made tamborines out of paper plates and decorated them with Mickey mouse stuff, then proceeded to march along with the music of the Mickey Mouse Clubhouse March. Bella enjoyed making the tamborines, but I think was a little overwhelmed with the marching and the music and the loud tamborines.

Then we played a ring toss game
and "Knock down the cans with a ball game"

We also played "Follow the Leader" with Pluto. The girls took turns wearing dog ears and being the leader, but by this point, Bella was ready to open gifts and the other girls were way too hyper and silly.


Bella opening presents
patiently waiting to play with her new toy while Maggie opens it


Nothing fancy this year with the cake--just good 'ole cupcakes
She kept covering her mouth when she ate the icecream because it was so cold!

That night, I took Garrett out to celebrate his birthday with just the two of us. We went out to eat at PF Changs and then went to see "Date Night." What a funny movie! Tina Fey and Steve Carell are hilarious together! It was a fun night. I also gave him a gift that I had been working on that I found on another fabulous blog (I love searching through craft blogs for fun ideas. It's funny, because most of them are lds stay at home moms...they are so creative!) The gift is a book that I made for him about why I love him and fun memories from when we were dating. I just took an old board book and covered it in scrapbook paper, then typed up my reasons. I thought it turned out quite nicely. I think he liked it. It was fun for me putting into words everything I felt for him and also thinking about when we were dating and all the fun times we had.





6 comments:

Meggin & Jacob said...

You are soooo creative, Mindy! I admire all the effort you put into making sure your childrens' birthdays are one-of-a-kind, making special skirts just for the occasion and all-wowzas! Garrett is super blessed to have such a loving, compassionate, and FUN wife. Mom and dad still talk about Maggie's Ladybug themed bday that they got to participate in years ago. And I forgot to tell you how totally awesome Maggie's rainbow cake was this year-makes me want to be a kid again so I can ask for one for my birthday!

JoAnnHansen said...

What fun birthday parties!!!
Your little children will always remember them, as well as your older ones!!! Looks like you have all been very busy! Happy Birthday Garrett and little Bella!

Tonya said...

You are such a great mom and wifey. That is such a thoughtful gift for Garrett.

I love the minnie skirt and I can't even believe that Bella is 2. Wow, she's getting so big.

Anonymous said...

the book is very romantic...GOOD FOR YOU! how did you make the pop cans?and I LOVE LOVE LOVE her skirt. You are so talented. I have basically given up on all of that.

tiffany said...

Yes, Mindy, you are amazing! Little Bella looked so cute in her darling skirt and matching bow! What fun games you came up with.....I loved the Mickey Mouse cans! That is a great book, you made for Garrett too! Well done on your part! (As usual) :)

Megan said...

I feel like I always check your blog and yet you've already got 5 comments! So everything is already said. Oh well. Bella looked so cute, she's looking so much older and her hair is long. Such a doll. You did good work on her pary, so fun! And what a sweet book for Garrett. I'm sure he loved it. We should just get you a cape and tights, since you are WonderWoman!! :0)