Sunday, April 4, 2010

Michael Buble


Friday night Garrett and I were able to go see Michael Buble at the Rose Garden!! I was so excited because I love his songs! I only got tickets the night before because I thought Garrett was going to be out of town, but thankfully that changed! Garrett wasn't as excited about the concert because he's not much of a concert guy, plus he doesn't know a lot of his songs. But, he said he enjoyed it.

Even though we were up in the nosebleeds, we still had a good time! He is a great performer and puts on a great show. He is really funny and a really fun dancer to watch--he's got some spastic moves, but they are so unique to him.


He opened the concert with "Cry Me a River" (1st song on my playlist) and I thought it was fabulous! I found this description in a review: "A dark silhouette of a conductor and his orchestra was revealed through white, wind-blown curtains with the recognizable "MB" insignia scrawled on them. Dramatic, forboding notes were played on the strings and drums until finally, the screaming girls got what they wanted: a peek at the talented young singer in an extremely well-fitted black suit, conducting his orchestra."
Here's a video of it off of the internet:
At one point during the concert, he was talking about how he's always wanted to sing and perform and talked about how he used to watch "Ferris Bueller's Day Off" over and over. His favorite part was the float scene where Ferris sings, "Twist and Shout." So he sang that and then he said that Michael Jackson was one of his favorite singers, so he sang "Billie Jean" and did some Michael Jackson moves. It was hilarious!! Of course, I forgot my camera (still mad about that!!) but I had Garrett get some video of the concert on his iphone, just so I had something to put on my blog. So, here's a video of him singing "Billie Jean". Keep in mind we are up in the nosebleeds and his phone doesn't zoom. (You can see him on the screen.)

Wow--that's really small after I added it on here--you can't see anything! Sorry!
Some of my favorite songs were: Everything, Cry Me a River, Home, Haven't Met you Yet, For Once in My Life and Mrs. Jones. The only one he didn't sing that I wished he would have was "Lost".


I found a review of the concert on some internet site, so I thought I'd post that instead of rewriting everything. If you don't care, feel free to skip it!
"He has an extraordinary talent for showmanship. I would be easy for a good looking, well-dressed crooner to have an ego to match, but Buble remains humble and emotionally honest on stage.
Buble often poked fun at himself and at one point during the show quipped, "I'm just doing what you do in the shower--they're just paying me to do it." Buble is simply charming and the sold-out crowd at the Rose Garden acknowledged it with every step.
The truth is, you don't have to be a Michael Buble fan to love his concert. It's not a pre-requisite. Buble puts on such a fantastic and intimate show that he's sure to win over even the guys who get dragged along to see him. "Concerts are boring!", exclaimed Buble during one of many interlude talks with the audience. "If you just wanted to hear my music you could stay home and listen to the CD. This is your show and you should have fun."
Sliding across the slanted marble stage , Buble always looked like he was having a good time. He has an infectious energy that lights up whatever he sings. One of my favorite moments in the show was when he sat at the piano and sang the song "Best of Me", originally done by David Foster and Olivia Newton-John. Buble spoke about going through a tough point in his life and how the song really resonated with him during that time. I don't think I've seen a more emotionally honest performance in my life. Buble made every word of the song sound like it emanated from a deep place within, and at the end of it, when the lights went down, he wiped his eyes.
This touching moment was followed up by one of the most odd and funny moments of the show. As Buble got up, the band started to play Stevie Wonder's "For Once in My Life". Buble shot a look at this musical director and partner and then started to work his way through the song. About a minute into it he asked the orchestra to stop and then broke into laughter. "You see, on my copy of the set list, the next song is 'Georgia on My Mind'". It was a very real moment that fit well with this very alive concert. After switching over to "Georgia on my Mind", Buble and company gave another shot at "For Once in My Life" which had an air of spunkiness and humor that was quite fun.
One of the things I really appreciated about Michael Buble's show was his treatment of his own original hits. None of them felt tired or overplayed and he brought as much enthusiasm to "Haven't Met You Yet" as he did to some of the classics he sang. Buble closed the show with what seems to be his signature closing song, "A Song for You," made popular by Donny Hathaway. The final refrain of the song Buble performed in front of the closed curtain without any accompaniament or without a mic. It was a very nice nod to the classic performers who didn't always perform with amplification, and it showed that while he may not have Sinatra's golden throat, that boy can sing."

Here is a video I found online of the mess-up of songs. I thought it was pretty funny.


3 comments:

Megan said...

Oh, that looked like a blast! I love and MISS concerts. I use to go all of the time, but haven't been to one in eons. I'm glad you guys could go!

tiffany said...

Fun! Looks like he's a great performer with a great personality! I would love to see him! Glad you could go and share with us who can't do anything anymore!

Tonya said...

I love his music. Sounds like a great concert.